Sociology as a Career Option
Description: The subject of sociology is the scientific study of society, patterns of social relationships, social interactions, and the culture of everyday life. Students of sociology learn to think critically about social problems and social phenomena. The subject is very broad. Everything that is happening in society is open for study, including family, marriage, cultural practices, criminology, group interaction, gender roles, sexuality, social inequality, attitude development, and much more.
How to be: For further studies in sociology a student must have taken the subject as a core one in 10+2 level. but the plus point for the students is that if they have pursued a degree in economics, political science, or psychology they can study sociology at a master’s level. Here are some common job possibilities to explore your degree in sociology to work world.
1. Guidance Counselor: A guidance counselor use knowledge of the sociology of learning to help students navigate the academic world. They use problem-solving skills to mediate conflicts and resolve social problems within schools. They organize group sessions and instruct students about social issues like bullying, substance abuse, and safe sex.
2. Human Resources Representative: HR Representatives need to use problem-tackling skills with people and interact effectively with a broad range of individuals.HR Representatives use analytical and decision-making skills to evaluate alternative structures for employee benefits.
3. Lawyer: lawyers use critical thinking and analytical skills and handle cases. Many areas of gal practice such as divorce, child custody, adoption, criminal law, personal injury, worker compensation, and employment law benefit are strongly related to sociology.
4. Market Research Analyst: A market research analyst tests products and services and evaluates the effectiveness of marketing campaigns. They use the knowledge of gender, youth; aging race-ethnicity, and social class to help to do this.
5. Media Planner: Media planners assess the advertising needs of clients and design a media plan to enhance sales to various groups. Media planners are aided by sociological knowledge, as they study the features of different groups to select the best possible media to advertise their product.
6. Social worker: Social workers can apply the knowledge of social dynamics and social institutions learned as a sociology major to assess client issues and help resolve problems. they make referrals to appropriate community agencies to leverage resources on behalf of individuals and families.
7. Survey Researcher/ Pollster: survey researcher or pollsters measure attitudes and opinions in areas familiar to the sociology major, social, political issues ,health, culture and consumer products. They have to be curious about a social phenomenon in order to conduct background research about survey topics.
8. Teacher: those who have an interest in teaching have to pursue a master’s in sociology and have to clear the UGC NET examination also should have to pursue B.Ed.
Where to pursue:
Some renowned institutions for studying sociology in India are as follows-
Tata Institute of Social Science (BA-Research)
University of Delhi (BA-PhD)
University of Calcutta (BA-PhD)
University of Mumbai(BA-PhD)
Lady Shriram College (BA-PhD)
Jawaharlal Nehru University (BA-PhD)
Banaras Hindu University(BA-PhD)
Sociology majors are taught to identify problems that exist worldwide as well as their remedies. So it is the most appropriate platform to explore great career opportunities and serve society as well.